I’m an academic statistician interested in Bayesian methods, decision theory, and survival analysis. In my current work, I use tools from Statistics and Machine Learning to improve the way we test new cancer therapies in clinical studies. In particular, I am developing novel adaptive designs for oncology trials that leverage data across subgroups – e.g. across children and adults, or between patients affected by tumors with common molecular aberrations.
- PhD in Statistics, with distinction. Bocconi University, Milan, Italy, 2020.
- MSc in Biostatistics, with honors. University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy, 2014.
- BSc in Statistics, with honors. University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy, 2010.
- Post-doctoral fellow, Harvard-MIT Center for Regulatory Science, Harvard medical School, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Visiting scholar, Department of Data Science, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Collaborator, Computational Health Informatics Program, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts.
Awards and scholarships
(2020) Mention of special distinction from the Italian Statistical Society for my Ph.D. thesis “Bayesian methods for the design and analysis of complex follow-up studies”.
(2019) Best poster award for my presentation “Leveraging prior data to increase the power of pediatric trial designs”, DIA/EFGCP Conference “Better medicines for children”, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
(2019) Best poster award (2nd place) for my presentation “Bayesian optimality on testing procedures in the non-proportional hazards setting”, Data Science in Biomedical Research – 2019 DFCI/FSTRF Marvin Zelen Memorial Symposium, Boston, Massachusetts.
(2017) Best Reviewer award from the journal Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety for peer review work in 2016.
(2016) Academic excellence award, PhD in Statistics, Bocconi University.
(2015) Merit-based PhD Fellowship, Bocconi University.
(Sept. 2019 – Today) Post-doctoral fellow, Harvard-MIT Center for Regulatory Science, Harvard Program in Therapeutic Sciences (HiTS), Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts.
(Sept. 2017 – Today) Visiting scholar, Program in Regulatory Sciences, Department of Biostatistics and Computational Biology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston (MA), U.S.A.:
– Non-proportional hazards modelling of survival data
– Data-driven approaches for the design of late-stage clinical trials in oncology
(2010-2015) Biostatistician (full-time), Unit of Pharmacoepidemiology and Healthcare Research, Department of Statistics and Quantitative Methods, University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy:
– Statistical analysis of large healthcare databases
– Contributed to two EU-funded international projects (SOS Project, SAFEGUARD Project)
(2015) Contract statistician (part-time), Institute of Ecosystem Studies (ISE), Italian National Research Council (CNR), Verbania Pallanza, Italy:
– Functional Principal Components analysis of limnological data
(Nov. 2010-Feb. 2011) Internship (part-time), Department of Epidemiology, “Mario Negri” Research Institute, Milan, Italy:
– Trend analysis and short-term forecasting of cancer mortality rates
(2018) Adjunct professor, bachelor’s-level course in “Probability Theory”, University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy.
(2017) Teaching Assistant, bachelor’s-level course in “Mathematics and Statistics”, Bocconi University, Milan, Italy.
(2017) Teaching Assistant, bachelor’s-level course in “Statistics”, Bocconi University, Milan, Italy.
(2015) Teaching Assistant, master’s-level course in “Pharmacoepidemiology”, University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy.
(2014) Faculty member, V edition of the course “A short course on concepts and methods in Causal Inference”, Milan, Italy, of the Italian Society of Medical Statistics and Clinical Epidemiology.
(2012) Teaching Assistant, master’s level e-learning course “Methodology of Clinical and Observational Research”, University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy.
Ad-hoc referee/reviewer for: Statistical Science; Journal of Clinical Epidemiology; Drug Safety; Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety; Trials; Pediatrics; Tumori Journal; BMC Trials; BMC Medical Research Methodology.